A few times a week a bunch of people meet at the institute to play Ultimate Frisbee! I love playing Ultimate! It's pretty much the only exercise that I get during the week! I am what is known as a "Cherry Picker," I pretty much stand in the in zone and wait for someone to throw me the frisbee, so I can score. But just because I stand in the in zone doesn't mean that I don't get my fair share of the action!
My first Ultimate Frisbee injury, well I didn't really get injured but you know what I mean, came from a guy named Colin. I was standing in the in zone, as usual, and my team was playing offense, so I was preparing to catch the frisbee. The frisbee was thrown to me and Colin, on the opposite team, decided to go for the frisbee too. Colin was running backwards, keeping his eye on the frisbee and didn't see me. I've learned not to compete with a large male for a frisbee, so I let Colin get it. When he caught it, still running at full speed, turned around and literally ran me over. I fell on my back and did a
back-roll out of it. It hurt, but not instantly. I just sat on the grass and laughed! I was feeling it the next day though..It hurt to sit, it hurt to stand, it hurt to move. My muscles pretty much hated Colin for the next week.
Injury #2 hurt the worst and was an actually injury. One thing that I have learned about a lot of guys when it comes to sports is that they do not care that you are a foot shorter, 80+ lbs. smaller, and a female. They will do whatever it takes to win. A lot of guys use a certain tactic to try and intimidate the girls who are playing. They run at you full speed and yell at you hoping that you will flinch and miss the catch. Usually they don't actually run into you, they just try to scare you, except for this particular occasion. I was playing against a guy named "Stewy" and as I was going for a catch and I thought that he was just using the scare tactic on me, but he got closer and closer and eventually Stewy and I collided..Stewy is no small child..When we collided my shoulder popped. After that every time I used my right arm it would pop, so I stopped playing and sat on the grass. Later that night I had pangs of pain going from my shoulder to my elbow and could barely use my right arm without it popping or adding to the pain. The pain was coming from the center of my collar bone and I was nervous I had broken it, although I knew I wasn't in enough pain for that. The next day I went to the doctor and after his exam he told me that I strained my right AC muscle and my pectoral muscles and pretty much sprained my shoulder..Not much can me done for shoulder injuries, so all I could do was ice it and rest,
no frisbee for 2 weeks..lame!
The third, final, and funniest injury/incident came last night! I was standing about 15 yards away from Fred, who had the frisbee, to block the open space and try and deflect his pass. He wound up and with all his strength chucked the frisbee hoping to make a Hail Mary to in zone. He released the frisbee and I thought it was going to go over my head, so I looked behind me to watch it go over so I could run after it and then SHABAM! I took a frisbee to hip! I could not stop laughing and honestly it didn't hurt that bad! Fred ran over and hugged me and apologized over and over again and just stood there and laughed. After a minute he started to laugh along with everyone else. I had tears running down my face I was laughing so hard! Later I checked my hip and I had a pretty nice welt! Today my hip feels a little sensitive and I'm hoping that it will turn into a bruise, because what's the point of getting hurt if there's no battle scar to show for it?!
Despite the fact that almost every time I play frisbee I get injured, I love to play! When I leave to play Mom always says, "Try not to get hurt this time.." "No promises Mom, no promises.."
-Kelsey Lou
No comments:
Post a Comment